Don Camaron, Hialeah Gardens, FL -- UPDATED 3.27.22!

I tried Don Camaron's for lunch yesterday. It was close to where I was working so I figured, why not? I have never been here before. I like trying new places and supporting local restaurants. And this place was good. 4 out of 5 stars.

I arrived soon after they opened and I was seated immediately. I ordered my drink, sweet tea, and my lunch, the Sopon Marinero, or seafood soup. I then proceeded to wait.

Now, I don't usually mention what I order as a drink. However, I ordered sweet tea and I got Brisk tea out of a Pepsi soda fountain. I was born and raised in the South. Brewed tea is tea. We do our tea right. The only reason I mention this at all is that soda fountain tea is not tea. But I digress...

I waited a little longer than I thought I should have but, let me tell you, it was worth the wait! The Sopon Marinero was wonderful. Chock full of seafood! Clams, mussels, shrimp, squid, whitefish, rice, and pico de gallo, all in a savory broth. Very well cooked, none of the meats were soft or mealy. It may not be much to look at but it will make your taste buds want to Cha-Cha!

On a whim I ordered a Bahama Mama for dessert. This was basically a tres leches cake with some added rum. The toasted coconut flakes added a nice crunchy texture. The cake was a little dry but worked for absorbing the milk and rum. It was a nice dessert and tasty. A good finish to a nice meal.

Overall this is a great spot for a good meal!

--------------------------------------------------- UPDATE -------------------------------------------------

Returned to Don Camaron's for lunch. I ordered 6 oysters, the Surf and Turf, and a flan for dessert.

The raw oysters came with some horseradish, cocktail sauce, and lemon. They were very fresh and tasted delicious. Slimy, salty, and spicy. Just the way I like them.

The Surf and Turf  had some skirt steak, a shrimp skewer, and a lobster tail. It was served with butter and a little mojo. I ordered fired plantains and black beans as my sides. The skirt steak was well cooked and tender, even though I was not asked how I would like the steak prepared. I spread some of the mojo on the steak which made it taste that much better. Kind of an earthy acidic tone. The shrimp were perfectly cooked. They had a nice garlicy flavor. I don't know what it is but I've never been disappointed with shrimp from a Hispanic restaurant. The lobster tail was a little overcooked from the broiling which made it a little more chewy than it would be otherwise. Still, nice flavor.

Lastly, the flan. Now, I love a good flan. However, this flan was overcooked. Way too firm. Probably a couple of steps away from cheesecake. Good flavor, and I love that almost burned caramel sauce. Just too firm, in my honest opinion.


Still, a great place to eat.

Questions or comments? Feel free to let me know what you think! Email me or find me on social media! Like, Follow, and Subscribe! Happy Fooding!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buc-ee's Snack Review: Coconut Toffee Cashews

Billy Ray's, Prestonsburg, KY

Bodine's Biscuits, Prestonsburg, KY