El Rodeo Grande, Prestonsburg, KY -- UPDATED 3.15.22!


Typical Mexican fare, atypical flavor! This restaurant is a gem in Prestonsburg, KY. I always compare to the Mexican restaurant that I grew up with in my hometown. I've been going to that one for over 30 years. And I have my "go-to" dishes that I order everywhere so I can compare apples to apples.

Let me tell you, El Rodeo Grande is definitely as good as that restaurant! I ordered a piña colada, an entrée called "A Little of Everything" with one ground beef taco, one tostada, one chile relleno, one enchilada, one tamale, rice and beans, and a banana chimichanga for dessert.

Let's start with the piña colada. I've only ever had one better. That was at a restaurant that made it with ice cream. Unfortunately, that restaurant no longer makes them. At all. So, I would have to say that this piña colada is now number one on my list! Great flavor. Not too much alcohol. You can tell it's there but not overpowering.


Chips and salsa: Chips are a little thicker than I would like but that doesn't affect the flavor. Salsa is typical.


A Little of Everything: The ground beef taco is average. Ground beef, lettuce, and shredded cheese. However, the ground beef is well spiced. The tostada is the same with some guacamole on top. The chile relleno is delicious! A pepper, looks like a poblano, stuffed with ground beef, melty cheese that oozes out when you cut it, and slathered with enchilada sauce. The enchilada was average also, corn tortilla stuffed with ground beef and covered in enchilada sauce. Still delicious. The tamale was well prepared. The masa and chicken were moist. Overall, a very nice dish and a good way to try multiple items and inexpensive for the amount of food.


Finally, the banana chimichanga. Interesting presentation with the colored sprinkles but the flavor was out of the park! The crunch of the chimichanga with the warm banana and the cinnamon sugar and chocolate, caramel, and strawberry syrups. So scrumptious.


I had been several times before writing this review. The service has been good and the quality of the food is consistent. I will be returning!

--------------------------------------------------------- UPDATE ------------------------------------------------------------

Returned to El Rodeo Grande on 3.9.22, and had their nachos and yes, another piña colada!


The piña colada was creamy and delicious, just as before. I believe the dish was called the Nachos Rodeo Grande, but I can't really remember. Yes, I've been slacking with my food reviews. But I digress... The nachos were piled high with steak, chicken, shrimp, carnitas, and chorizo. Then topped with white cheese sauce, lettuce, pico de gallo, shredded white cheese, and sour cream. All on a bed of crispy tortilla chips. The meats were well cooked and well seasoned. The veggies were fresh and crisp. Overall a great dish! Here's a close up of the nachos:


Questions or comments? Feel free to let me know what you think! Email me or find me on social media! Like, Follow, and Subscribe! Happy Fooding!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buc-ee's Snack Review: Coconut Toffee Cashews

Bodine's Biscuits, Prestonsburg, KY

Billy Ray's, Prestonsburg, KY